10

I decided to make a mid-summer Top 10 for your listening pleasure and it's got some variations that I thought I'd explain. In some ways it has been put together as a soundtrack to some of the blogs I've been looking across and in other ways it's just part of a larger conceptual conversation. I've been doing this kind of thing well before it was in vogue in the pages of magazines, like Artforum. I think it boils down to the year my parents purchased a Panasonic tape recorder for me as a Christmas present, and my mother swore I'd get bored taping music, then listening to it back. She was wrong on that one, I still love taping[uploading] music and listening to it several times over. Making a soundtrack to my day to day, week to week, year to year is kinda vital to me, so kick back and enjoy...a download is available at the bottom of this list!


10 - the Radio Dept. - I Don't Need Love, I've Got My Band *got into several conversations this week about current Swedish pop music, and this band is my personal favorite right now...

9 - the Clean - Cellblock No. 5 *been working with a gentleman from New Zealand, he's been in several New Zealand bands, and he knew so many of the people in several of the bands I'm about to list that I haven't stopped listening to the next 3 for about a week now...

8 - the Bats - Miss These Things *a continuation of the idea in #9...

7 - the Jean-Paul Satre Experience - Own Two Feet *more vintage New Zealand pop on the iPod this last week...

6 - Boyracer - No Tears *I went for a scooter ride to the local record store in my neighborhood[Sonic Boom], and picked up my friend's, Stewart and Jen's new disc, "A Punch Up The Bracket" and it's so good, this song will be moving up my personal chart, but I wanted to make sure it had a running start, some scooters need that, even though this engine is tuned just right!

5 - Syd Barrett - Love Song *nuff said...

4 - The Fall - The Steak Place *when I've had a rough afternoon in a truck hauling art, well, The Fall are like a shot of Scotch on my ears...

3 - Guided By Voices - No Sky *sentiment is like skin, I seem to wash it all the time, yet I keep getting dirty...

2 - The Darts - Alky Burner *in my other life I'm a race car driver, not a current one though, this personality lives in 1967, drives a Lotus F1 car against the likes of Graham Hill, Jim Clark, and Jochen Rindt, with the real likely chance that being killed was just a bad turn away...

1 - The Sentinals - Tor Chula *after seeing Dennis Hollingsworth diving in Spain to build a reef for the fish, I reached for my Big Surf II CD, and besides that I'm currently reading Devil's Teeth by Susan Casey which is getting me informed on the Farallon Islands Great White shark population, so enjoy the water!

[click the link here to download Top Ten]

Comments

Excellent. You sent me some nice stuff when I was in Brussels. A couple of CD's actually, then I got to Boston and Rob stole them. I think they are still in his car. Although I do have the cover artwork which was a mash-up of my drawings and your paintings. Also the music is on my computer, so I still win.
Steven LaRose said…
I just zipped that down load. What the fuck was that? Youshare? Youtrade? I have yet to listen to the music, but I am interested in the transaction. I'll check in when the songs get to a player (the computer I'm on is six years old)