letter

I recieved a wonderful email yesterday, and attatched was a picture I made over 15 years ago, which was great to see. I was hoping in some small way that perhaps by starting this blog, I would encounter some of my lost sheep, works that sold or I traded, or found their way into someones life. When I was with the Linda Farris Gallery, I never knew, and that was the deal with her, who had my work. In this case I gave this drawing to a friend of mine, Roland Barker, a very talented musician, whose music was very impactful on me right after college. My friend Blaine introduced me to his stuff, which at the time sounded a bit like Harold Budd, or Brian Eno's Music for Airports. My first solo show at Galleria Potatohead in Belltown in 1991, I picked Roland to play his music, and the other choice I had was to allow a newly put together band that was practicing below the gallery called Pearl Jam. I went with Roland.

Hi Harold,

I've been reading your blog for a little while. I looked you up
because I have a painting of yours, and I was interested in who you
were. You seem like a stand-up guy. I hope you succeed with
whatever transformations you're working on in life. Maybe you'll be
happy at this point to hear from a total stranger and to know that
your painting is one of my prized possessions-- i really get along
with its post-apocalyptic cave painting vibe. Here it is in my studio.

Roland gave it to me a number (5?) of years ago when he was getting
rid of everything and moving to Findhorn. We haven't spoken for a
while but I think he's still happily shacked up in Hawaii.

Well, keep up the good work, and maybe we'll meet around town one of
these days now that I'm aware of your cultural events and such. I'm
working hard on composing a show of visual music I'm playing in a
month, myself. So I guess part of what i'm doing now is
procrastinating.

all the best,
Randy Jones

Tell me when you play Randy, I'll come see and listen.

Comments

Tracy Helgeson said…
What a great story and it was so thoughtful of him to contact you and tell you that he has your painting. I love it when I get similar comments.
tonypetersart said…
That's cool Harold. Nice painting too.

I had a similar situation where an excited woman contacted me after buying one of my paintings in a Minnesota Goodwill store for $1.99. How that happened, I'll never quite understand. I don't exactly like to think of my paintings as "Goodwill material".
I once dropped off a set of paintings, small mind you, to a goodwill after a show of mine at Linda Farris Gallery in 1991. A friend picked one up by chance and asked how they price the art. He was told that they price it according to size, thus my 16 x 20 inch works went for $7.99, which made me laugh, because they wer framed, with 8ply rag white mats, and plex, which made the works just with the frame alone worth about $200.00. My duchampian moment, I have many others I have done as well, I should write about those sometime...