R. Allen Jensen continued...


 R. Allen Jensen - combine


 drawing table 

Brian Cypher chatting with R.Allen Jensen

Spent Sunday in Stanwood with artist R. Allen Jensen and artist Brian Cypher, who came along to see this legendary artist in his amazing studio.  The works of Jensen have this haunting quality that I think of anytime I go somewhere far away and compare his artworks with those who get written about and shown regularly.  I have thought of one of his works in particular since the first time I witnessed it several years ago in his Stanwood studio. It's the first image on the top of this page, the large canvas that is sewn near the bottom, with charcoal arcs shooting across it's plane.  I thought of Bob, and kept in touch with him when I was doing my residency in Berlin. His work would hold it's own against what I saw in my three months there.
 I sought Bob's guidance when I was coming into or awakening as an artist in my youth[does one ever stop awakening?].  I still count on him to this day as a sounding board.  I found in Jensen the essence of artists I had been studying before I met him, artists like Joseph Beuys and Antoni Tapies. In Jensen I found that his work, alone, was to me, worthy of the same praise and attention as those said artists. Bob's work ethic, choice in materials, topics, and range have always stood up over time, and once I returned, I had to see this place again, his studio, him.  I enjoy bringing other artists up to visit him, as he tends to keep to himself, but is always open to having guests and plays a wonderful host.  He was, again, wonderful, insightful and he and artist Brian Cypher hit it off great.  I feel so fortunate that I have this connection to Bob, and that he still out works not only the likes of myself, but most artists I know.  The challenge that always is present when I see his work is that he makes strong pieces works that are full in, and with no holes aesthetically,  materially, and mentally.  Bob fires on all cylinders. 

Comments