8.08.2006

sketchbook pages


I'm still at it, cleaning the studio, making edits in my personal workspace, getting myself down to minimal distractions. I came across a sketchbook from a show I had at the Linda Farris Gallery in 1993. I was reading lots of Rimbaud, and Artaud, a carry over from college. I was very excited about automatic drawing and the results of not editing myself, using almost pure instinct to guide me. I miss doing work this way, it is liberating. Results always varied, ususally to a negative end, but when things came together, and I knew when to stop, well, I can still see the results as a success, even 13 years later. I have a new sketchbook here thanks to Laura Matzer bringing me one back from a conference in Indianapolis recently. I liked having one before, and just sort of drifted from having worked with one for the last few years. I'll keep you posted on what might be cooking.

4 comments:

Steven LaRose said...

overhead project that one below and tape it up, and glaze it up, and richen it up with your new routine.. . .but who am I to say?

chrisjag said...

very nice drawings.
Too bad automatic painting isn't so easy. I struggle with the same thing - drawing is easy to be spontaneous, but painting seems to require a little stratgey (which kills it). What to do.

tonypetersart said...

When I was in Art School, I experimented with automatic drawing. Hit and miss, I can appreciate when you get some really nice drawings like these. Very cool.

harold hollingsworth said...

automatism is just like all the other elements, grid drawing, push/pull, a tool that one can find both pleasurable, and annoying. Much like improvised music[the making of it], this technique can render good results, and or hours and hours of frustration, but there are always a few gems worth plowing for.